Friday, May 11, 2007

L 152 M

Dear Mum!


Yesterday I have been to xxx, a city in Croatia. It was my second yourney after the heaviest attacks between October and February. I can tell you that I am very deeply depressed and stunned. The situation before the war and now is as different as chalk and cheese. You are almost unable to recognize people: unfortunately, some of them physically but most of them emotionally. As one of my ex teachers said: "We became a land of crippled people". All this has begun with elections for Krajina-s (a Serbian self governing teritory). Those dinky, stupid-or I do not know how to call them- people wanted to make Serbia from 2/3 of teritory of Croatia even in those regions where they were not in majority.

Moreover, in 7o percent of these regions they were in monority. In xxx this was organized by people with whom we were in friendship. The worst point in all this-I think- was their double life.
In that-for everyone visible- they were people like we were: working all day, almost the same problems....But in that "secret" one they were prepairing war! Unbelievable but truth: W A R !!! One of them was xxx, speaker on the local radio-station; generous, warm-hearted man and he was known all over the town (especially his voice). On one Saturday evening he had arrived to the radio-station and with the "official car" stole each equipment necessary for the programme-emission. Of course, before it he accumulated enough components. After it came the worst thing he could done: he organized "comrades" (chetniks) to take on police uniforms and come to his home to take himself away! The family was surprised but they thought it was some misunderstanding. But as I have said it wasn't.

Mum, everybody knew that he was a Serb, but I can not understand how could he done something like this especially to his family? Had he enough benevolence or he was an antropoid monster? Did he think about the future of his son and daughter?

A week later, his wife called Daddy and having burst into tears asked him: "Please, save my son!" You wil probably ask why. Likely that she was afraid of his kidnapping or killing. Meanwhile, daughter escaped to Zagreb. While talking, she gave a telephone number and an address of a certain uncle, who is supposed to live in Budapest. she wasn't sure that the addres was correct. The address was wrong, but Daddy has found the mysterious relative, so the boy arrived and the uncle took him to his home. Fifteen months later he is still there and works as an unskilled worker in a storehouse. Before it he was a student on the Technological University in Zagreb. Mum, what is his future? He has to suffer because of fathers dullness and narrow-mindedness! It is ridiculous! It is better that you didn't hear what that woman has told me: Krisztian, I was almost lynched when I was passing through the centre of the town.
Believe me, I'm quite innocent! I swear to my children I didn't know what was going on! That Sunday evening, when he was taken away, I got scared, but I thought it was some mistake and that he would come back soon. Unfortunately, he didn't. I don't know wheather we didn't know him very well or there was something else behind it. I'm not sure that he was that susceptible to influence. Especially not with such primitive ideas. I'm treated as a war-guilty person because I didn't know my husband well and because I wanted to keep my children safe. They insult me and I receive anonym letters in which they keep frightening me with house-blowing and similar dreadful things. But in spite of all this I have to bear. BECAUSE OF MY CHILDREN! THAT"S THE ONLY ONE SENSE OF MY LIFE!

Epilogue
After this, in town "were available" different gossips about this family. The story about this "father" was proved because he was heard on the radio and once seen on TV as he with a long beard, behind many microphones was talking to chetniks. Unfortunately, this is not peculiar but an average tragedy. One among of thousands. If one would go today to this town he would see many people wearing mournful dresses and many others without arm or leg.

No comments: