Tuesday, May 8, 2007

W 086 F

Being this essay the first one which I submit to the Janus Pannonius University I consider it a great challenge.

Certainly this is not my first assignment written in English but the ones I wrote before were rather ‘instinctive’ works. Nobody taught me the rules which were important and helpful to write an appropriate essay in English. Now as I had some lessons on formal writing methods, several of the most significant rules of essay writing had been mentioned. On the one hand it is a big help but can be a disadvantage on the other. It is a help because besides the rules my attention was drawn to the most common mistakes committed in essay writing. The knowledge of these makes it easier for me to avoid them. When I said it could be a disadvantage I meant the phenomenon when you start studying a topic of which you already had a certain knowledge and dealing with your studies you realize how little you know about the topic being examined. At this point it is easy to loose your sense of judgement whether to keep on writing ‘instinctively’ or try to find a rule to the questioned matter.

What makes the challenge even greater is that in this case, as my task is to write with a purpose on showing my writing abilities, the emphasis is not on the topic itself but the way how I can interpret my thoughts at a higher level.

Doing something for the first time without much experience is always an exciting task. Dealing with a new situation I might have unexpected reactions even for me and I may discover so far unknown features of my personality. Sometimes it is like a self-study with definite goals; first to see how I feel inside about the way I carry out the task, whether I am satisfied with my work or not. And secondly the positive opinion of the person to whom it is dedicated. In this case the second one is expected to be the more important one to achieve as I write this essay trying to make it as perfect as possible to get a good mark for it. But it is still essential to be content with my work when I hand it in.

Other important thing which makes the challenge even more complex is to express myself properly. I must be grammatically correct which is rather difficult considering that I have to do it in a foreign language at a university level which does not allow me to use simple and familiar structures. And being grammatically correct does not mean by all means that I made myself clear and left no chance of misunderstanding.

And if we consider it a competition among the students then it challenges me even more. It is an interesting thing to see how the other students can deal with the same task. I do not only find important the marks I get but to compare them with the average grades given to the others.

Writing about this topic confirms me more and more about that the challenge of writing essays is to make in every respect both you the reader and me the writer feel satisfied with my work.

No comments: